Ok so… it sounds gross. I know. BUT. It’s super yum! Millet has a delicate and slightly nutty flavour, paired with butternut and a bit of honey… Yum! You can’t really taste the courgette in this, it’s more to sneak in an extra serve of veggies.
I got a pack of millet in my monthly I Am Co subscription box (highly recommend!) and my mum reminded me that she used to make porridge out of it with pumpkin. I also recently saw a yummy oat porridge recipe that included grated courgette, so I decided to do a bit of a mashup and see how it turned out!
I know courgette and pumpkin are pretty savoury, but with the addition of milk (I used coconut), honey and cinnamon, it makes the perfect slightly sweet breakfast dish. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Makes about 3 servings
- 1 cup millet
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups milk/liquid depending on desired consistency – I used half coconut milk half water
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed (skin on if you’re adventurous!)
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2-3 tsp honey to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180C while you prep your veggies
- Toss your butternut with cinnamon (and coconut oil if you want) and bake in the oven for approx 30 minutes
- Place the millet and 2 cups of liquid in a pot on a medium-high heat
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer
- Add the grated courgette and honey
- Stir occasionally while the millet cooks (10-15 minutes, longer if you want it really mushy)
- Add more liquid if you want a more watery consistency
- Add the butternut when cooked and mix through
– The Stuffed Unicorn